This is one of the popular chaapan bhogas of Lord Jagannath which is offered daily in the holy temple of Puri , Odisha. This is one of the most cherished sweet dish from Odia cuisine.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 15 ladoos
- 3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup ghee
- 3/4 cup roughly powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon green cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- Heat a non stick pan on low flame. Add ghee to it. Once the ghee melts, add wheat flour to it and start mixing the flour with the ghee. Keep roasting the flour for 8-10 minutes on low to medium flame . You will get nice aroma from the roasted flour and the flour will turn light brown.
- At this stage add the powdered sugar and mix it well with the roasted flour.
Lastly add the cardamom powder and black pepper powder and put off the flame. Mix it well and allow the ladoo mixture to cool down a bit .
- Once the mix is cool enough to handle , grease your palms with ghee and take around 2 tablespoon of the mix in your palms and start binding it to give a round shape. Prepare all the ladoos similarly. I could make around 15 medium size ladoos from the above measurement of ingredients.
- The ideal wheat flour to ghee ratio in this Magaja ladoo recipe is 3:1 .
- Use freshly ground cardamom and black pepper powder for a lovely flavour.
- The ladoos remain good at room temperature in an air tight container up to a month.